Even I like to use XP and it comes with Internet Explorer 6, however when you update your Windows or have enabled the automatic updates option, it gets updated to IE 7 or IE 8 with time. I dont use IE not even in Windows 7 , rarely I use IE 9 that too if I need to check something in the browser but still there are many people who use Internet Explorer as their main browser and dont like to use Firefox or Google Chrome but many websites like Youtube shows an error as shown below that " your web browser is no longer supported " and if you wish to use all features of the site you should upgrade to the latest browser version
Many websites do not show this kind of message and you can access them with IE 6 as well but as I said above that it gets updated so people dont have problem with that. In many cases I have seen that people also face problems with their updated Internet Explorer specially in Windows XP and they need to revert back to the older version however its always recommended to use the latest browser version for security reasons. If you are facing issues with latest version its advised to use either Firefox or Google Chrome instead of older IE.
Different people have different choices and if they like to go back to older version of their Internet Explorer here is the way how you can do that from command prompt.
1. To open command prompt type cmd in the run box that you can open by pressing the Windows key on the bottom left in between Ctrl & Alt key, along with R key on the keyboard only once.
2. Now once you type cmd, simply click on ok
3. Now in the black screen copy paste the commands below depending upon your browser version and Operating System and press enter as shown below
Windows XP users, if you wish to uninstall Internet Explorer 7, copy paste the below command in CMD and press enter
If you wish to uninstall Internet Explorer 8 from your Windows XP, copy paste the below command in CMD and press enter
If you are using Windows Vista and need to remove your updated IE version 8 back to the default IE 7, just copy paste the below command in CMD and press enter. Make sure you run the CMD with admin rights
FORFILES /P %WINDIR%\servicing\Packages /M Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-8*.mum /c "cmd /c echo Uninstalling package @fname && start /w pkgmgr /up:@fname /norestart"
4. A popup will be there for the Internet Explorer 8 Removal Wizard, simply click on next
5. It will show a warning screen for the softwares installed after the installation of the updated version of browser, click yes if you wish to proceed after cross checking the list as there may be any software which requires IE 7 or 8 for its smooth functioning
7. Once the process will be complete, you see a confirmation message on the screen, just restart your computer and your old browser version will be back on your PC.
There is also a fix it utility available for the same purpose from Microsoft but sometimes it is unable to do the needfull and there you can use the above commands.